Thursday, July 26, 2007

Let's Talk Some Weather...

We're been talking about some silly stuff lately, but let's talk weather for a moment (as if I never make that silly, too.) Anywho, I think we will all agree that WE NEED RAIN! The images you see are screenshots of the BUFKIT program that we use frequently. It can graphically show us anything we need to analyze the weather. In both of the images, I have only plotted a couple of simple things... Temperatures, rain, and for fun... CAPE. Time goes from RIGHT to left...

The top image is the GFS model which takes us to late next week. One thing to note is the chance of rain on Saturday. It does not look like much. As I said last night, most places will not get more than 0.50" or less. In fact, the GFS model is only giving us about a 0.10"....Sorry farmers. One last note... 100 degrees next Thursday??? It might happen. We'll chat about that later though.
This second image is the NAM model. It's a little more optimistic with the rain, but still only gives us about a 0.25". Even with these low values, I still think some folks will see a half inch or so.... It's summertime and some of the storms can dump some heavy rain quickly. We'll see. I'm ready for "free water" for my grass, but the farmers REALLY need it.

I heard that it costs the farmers about $30,000 a month to run their pumps with the price of diesel fuel these days! I understand why they want rain!!!
If you have any questions, feel free to comment...
Ryan

No comments: