Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Playing "City"

As a young boy, I LOVED playing cars! I bet I had 200 cars. In addition to cars, I had cities, railroad tracks, and ramps to go with the cars. A few years ago, my mom surprised me by giving us some of my old cars and a fold-up city. My boys play with that city these days, just like I did when I was a young boy. While playing "city" with my youngest son today, I noticed this old fire truck. I can remember playing with this exact car when I was his age! As you can tell, it's been called out on a few fires! I'm shocked that it's still around... and drivable!
While we played today, I told my son little things about the city we were playing on. I told him that the bank building use to have a third section... I told him that the hand drawn parking spaces were surveyed and striped by me, with a Sharpie. And I told him my favorite places to "live" when I was a kid...

His city has expanded or "sprawled" from when I was his age. If you notice, he has many roads now, stoplights, gas stations, etc. I suppose it's much like the real world. Some things are new, but there are still several things that will never change!
I hope to keep some of their toys around to pass down to their kids. It may not mean much now, but it sure will bring back some memories one day!

Ryan

No comments: