- This morning is mainly WET.
- I say "mainly" because the freezing line will come into Southern MO and extreme Northern AR before lunch.
- This winter storm will be worse than the one 2 weeks ago.
- There will be snow on top of the sleet this time around.
- I expect the roads to be very bad tomorrow morning, despite the hard work of the highway department. This will be a hard storm to beat.
- I typically don't talk about schools being closed or open, but I will say that schools will be impacted on Thursday and Friday.
- Generally speaking, 5-8" of a sleet and snow combination is expected.
OK, let's talk about timing. The freezing line is moving south and the Storm Prediction Center has already highlighted our area for big problems later today. In case you did not know, the SPC watches winter storm, too:
Here's what the latest short-term data is showing and it looks to have a good grasp on the situation. Let's fast-forward to 2:00, when many parts of Region 8 will be switching to freezing rain and sleet:
Once the freezing line starts moving in, it keeps heading south at a good pace, switching everyone to a Winter Storm Mode. Here's 4:00 PM:
By 8:00 PM, everyone is below freezing and we are in the middle of a Winter Storm and some will be switching to snow:
This looks like a bad winter storm. Finish up any errands you need to run this morning and hang out at the house tonight. Some of you may have to stay in the house for a couple of days.