Friday, September 09, 2016

Number of Tornadoes Are Down In Region 8

I'm doing some research this morning and discovered some interesting tornado statistics:

  • It has been 706 days since Craighead County has had a tornado warning.
  • It has been 864 days since the city of Paragould had a tornado warning.
  • 0 Tornadoes in Region 8 in 2015.
  • 1 Tornado so far in Region 8 in 2016. (EF1 in Cross County) 
  • To compare, we had 9 in 2012, 13 in 2013, and 13 in 2014.
It takes time to research the "WHY", but my hypothesis would be a correlation to El NiƱo. But, looking at the map above of 2015... it just looks like we were lucky! Regardless of why we are in a tornado drought, it makes me wonder if we will be caught off guard in a major severe weather outbreak. 

Professionally, I need to make sure the staff knows how we handle major tornadoes in Region 8. Personally, I need to make sure my kids remember what to do in a tornado. While the weather is quiet, I hope you take the time to review your safety plans at home and work.

We are in the middle of a global pattern transition. The weather in 2017 will not be like the weather in 2016. This winter will not be the same as last winter. It will be more active and I'm more concerned about severe weather outbreaks (tornadoes) than wintry weather (snow, ice). Sure, we will have some snow and ice, but I'm more concerned about people not being prepared for winter tornadoes. 

I'm preparing to get more in-depth on the Winter Outlook soon. Enjoy the quiet weather, but start thinking ahead and making sure that you are prepared for severe weather.

Ryan


No comments: