Let's review the first half of Winter.
- Average temperature was 41°, which is 1.5° above average.
- Precipitation for the month was 4.46", which is 0.31" below average.
- We had a little sleet in spots, but nothing to cause travel problems.
- Some places had single digit lows on December 19th and 20th.
Just for fun... Here's what I thought about December (in November) versus what the Old Farmer's Almanac said:
January So Far:
- Average temperature has been 38.7°, which is 1.7° above average.
- Precipitation so far is at 1.50", which is 0.04" below average.
- We have had 1 winter weather event that produced 0-3" of snowfall across Region 8.
Again, just for fun... Here's what I thought about January (in November) versus what the Old Farmer's Almanac said:
Long-range forecast is not too far off, so far. Long range forecasting is difficult with a high degree of uncertainty! I'm pleased so far.
Rest of Winter?
- This can change, but I don't see any winter storms for Region 8 through January.
- I think I'll miss the temperature outlook that I did in November for January. We will probably end up at or above average on the temperatures. Mainly because overnight lows are staying higher due to cloud cover.
- I still think February is going to be warmer than average. The Old Farmer's Almanac and I pretty much agree on February. While wintry weather is still possible, it will feel like an early start to Spring. Here's the outlook from November:
Let's sit back and watch! I'm still concerned about severe weather over the next couple of months. Make sure you family has a plan in the event of tornado warnings.