Tuesday, September 20, 2005

From The Mailbag...

I got a funny email a few days back that made me chuckle. Well, actually I almost spit out my coffee! Take a look:

Ryan,
I've noticed (like most folks) that we have had quite a number of storms this season. My question is since there is still some time left in the season, and the storm names only go up to W (Wilma), what happens if there needs to be an X storm? Will they hold a secret meeting similar to the way a pope is elected and burn white smoke to come up with the last 3 names of the alphabet?

-Mike


That's funny! Here's the answer to the question everyone wants to know... hopefully it doesn't come down to this:

From NHC:
In the event that more than 21 named tropical cyclones occur in the Atlantic basin in a season, additional storms will take names from the Greek alphabet: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and so on.

Take care folks!
Ryan
rvaughan@wsfa.com

No comments: