Monday, October 10, 2005

Tropical Storm Vince... Not That Vince!

You didn't hear me talk about this storm this morning, but there is a Tropical Storm (former hurricane) in the FAR, FAR, Eastern part of the Atlantic Ocean named "Vince". I didn't mention it this morning because it will have NO impact on our weather. Why am I blogging about then??? Because I wanted to put Vince McMahon on the blog! Just kidding of course... I wanted to chat about Vince because we have only ONE name left on the 2005 Atlantic List. The next name will be "Wilma".

We talked about this before, but if we run out of names... then we go to the Greek alphabet. After Wilma, we will have Alpha, then Beta, then Gamma, and so on and so on. A question came up among a number of meteorologists this weekend though: What if we have to retire one of the Greek names??? What happens if it is retired and we need to use the Greek alphabet again one day??? I haven't found the answer YET, but I believe the Greek alphabet names will have a suffix of the year too. (i.e. Alpha 05) I'll try to contact the National Hurricane Center today to find out. Heck, this has never happened before! It's like "Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey! Speaking of Jack Handey, look below for one of my favorites!

Ryan
rvaughan@wsfa.com

Deep Thought by Jack Handey:
I'd like to see a nature film where an eagle swoops down and pulls a fish out of a lake, and then maybe he's flying along, low to the ground, and the fish pulls a worm out of the ground. Now that's a documentary.

No comments: