Saturday, February 03, 2007

Killer Frost!

That's what my sister-in-law called it! The"nerd-word" is hoarfrost or meteorological deposition. To most people, it is just THICK frost or "Killer Frost"...LOL

My sister-in-law took these pictures at Olympic National Forest in Washington this weekend. She knew that the "weather geek" in me would really dig the pics.

Hoarfrost is different from "normal" frost because when it forms, it goes from water vapor straight to ice crystals (like snow). "Normal" frost goes from water vapor, to water droplets, to ice.... Also called "rime" frost. Here are the cool pics!



Thanks for the pictures Ami!!!

Ryan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like killer frost to me, because if I had to scrap it off anything I'm sure it would kill me!

Anonymous said...

While talking to Ami, I told her it should be "freeky frost", but she said it really was beautiful, that it looked like snow.