Tuesday, March 25, 2008

It Happens "Almost" Every Year...

It seems like we have severe weather every year around my birthday. I never get to take the day off. Either we are covering severe weather, covering the aftermath of severe weather, or preparing for severe weather. If you need some proof, check out these storm report maps from some of the previous years:

April 3, 2007
April 2, 2006 a.k.a. Marmaduke/ Caruthersville tornado
April 1, 2005 I lived in Alabama, school damaged, but it was not widespread.
April 4, 2003 and April 6, 2003
April 3, 2001

This year may not be much different. We are going to start transitioning to a more unstable pattern over the next week or so. Even on Sunday night, the instablity across the state is looking impressive. We may squeeze in some severe weather prior to my birthday this year... Below is the forecast CAPE values for Sunday evening. This is a measure of the "Available Energy" in the atmosphere. Anything over 1000 perks my ears up a little...

Another value we look at is the "Lifted Index" or the measure of how "unstable" the atmosphere mya become. Anything -3 or -4 or lower makes me a little concerned. If you notice, -4 LI's covere Region 8 on Sunday afternoon.
We'll watch to see what happens. I think my Dad is coming to town, so maybe we'll send him out in the Wood Ford SotrmTRACKER!

Ryan

5 comments:

MTWC said...

Well, April is a pretty active month for severe weather. I guess I could say that for some reason it is always nice and warm on my birthday but hey my birthday is in June! (Actually I have noticed many rainy days on my birthday)

Anonymous said...

500mb winds (and up) haven't been looking that impressive for this weekend ... Right now I'm more concerned about the longer-range (April 4th-ish) :-/

Ryan said...

Very true... Hailers would be our only concern early on... or flooding again! Ugh..

Jason H said...

Your right, Seems like every year from somewhere around the first or 2nd week of April we get real bad storms, then around the 3rd or 4th week it will turn bone dry for a while. The rivers will still be WAY OUT of there banks by the time the heavy rain makes it's way in. :-/

Anonymous said...

Reckon you were destined to be a weatherman since you were born on the anniversary of the worst tornado outbreak in U.S. history?