Thursday, May 29, 2008

Hook Echo Lesson

Both of these images are of the same timeframe and location. This first image is Level 2 reflectivity data of a storm in Kansas. This is the "typical" radar data that you see on TV. THIS is a hook echo! The hook is formed from the counter-clockwise rotation of the tornado at the end of the storm cell. The tornado is NOT in the middle of the storm.
This next image is the velocity data, which shows the inbound and outbound winds of the storm relative to the radar site. If you click on the image, you will see the legend on the left side. I'm sure you can pick out where the tornado is located. If you match up both images, you can see the anatomy of the cell.
I'm just now getting in some scary news about some chasers. I'll post more about that later...

Ryan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is really awesome stuff, so long as no one is hurt. This looks like Grlevel2 you're using. I still love the grlevel3 you suggested and have been trying to learn as much as I can on it all. I noticed you try and educate people about the weather so we're more informed. Maybe you could give another post or 2 on how/what different things mean? Things like echo tops, VIL, mesocyclones, TVS/ETVS, etc. Thought about like a video training post every so often? I know I'd watch! :-)