Tuesday, September 29, 2009

150th Year of Jonesboro: Water Tower & JHS

Here's one of the pictures I showed tonight on the news. If you have been watching, I've been showing old pictures in celebration of Jonesboro's 150th birthday. This is the old water water located between Main Street and Madison. While the water tower is the focal point of the picture, I was more interested in the building at the top of the picture. (click to enlarge)

That's the old Jonesboro High School. It was destroyed on May 27th, 1973. That tornado killed 4 people in the city and caused MAJOR damage.

I've been searching for pictures of the old Jonesboro High School. If you have one, email me at ryan@kait8.com

Have a great night,
Ryan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was only 3 when the tornado came thru that night! I remember it. My dad took us under the bridge on Bridge St. I felt our car lift up and sat down. I remember looking at my moms eyes the fear that came at that moment. We had to just be on the outskirt of the cell that produced that tornado. Or something...

Karen H. said...

I remember when that Tornado hit Jonesboro. It was Memorial Day Weekend. Me and my Family were at Walcott camping for the weekend. I was 11 years old at the time. I remember us watching the weather at 10:00p.m. that night and the way they were talking it was going to miss Jonesboro. Well lo and behold sometime early that morning it hit and we had a small camper and it was rocking that small camper real good. We all got up and I was so scared I put my pants on backwards. LOL. There was a bunch of us from Lepanto camping up there that weekend and the next morning several of the Men went into Jonesboro and found out it had been hit. I know it sure did some raining that night as well. I am now 47 years old and still remember that night very well. That is why I'm so terrified of Tornado's to this day. But since then, technology has improved. Also when Jonesboro got hit the first time either in 1968 or 1969, can't remember exactly which year, my Dad went up there to help take people to Hospitals and assisted in any way he could. He worked for Murphy's Funeral Home in Lepanto and back then they did regular Ambulance runs. I remember my Dad talking about how bad Jonesboro had been hit and seeing pictures on t.v.

Karen Horton
Caraway, AR