Monday, August 09, 2010

Great Charity Organizations

If you have not heard about Compassion International, you should look it up. Twice over the past few years, We've had musicians at Church come to talk about the work of this organization. I'm overwhelmed how great they are...simply meeting the needs of poor children around the world. If you are a Christian, it is one of the most understandable things in the Bible. Some things in the Bible can be a little obscure, but this command from God is very simple.

In this business, we get asked to help with numerous charities. Years ago, I would help with anything, if anyone asked. Now that I have kid's, and my time is a little more fragmented, I've started picking and choosing a little more. Let's face it, I can't be everywhere at once.

Recently, I was almost tricked/forced/bamboozled into helping with a charity event. I'm not big on "gimmicks" to get people involved. Let a person help or not help based on their convictions. After investigating, I realized this charity had a very low charity rating.

I now check every organization that I give money or time to. Usually I use Charity Navigator, but I also read other sites/tweets/etc

Compassion International has the highest rating on Charity Navigator. They are solid as a rock. Because of this, you will soon see a permanent link on this blog to their site. I've never felt more excited about a charity organization.

Our new kid is Migual from Ecuador. My boys are excited to be able to write to him and vice versa. I think it would be really cool if they all got to meet one day, too. We'll see.

So, I want to hear from you guys. Name some other GREAT charities that have touched your lives. Please comment in the comments section. Maybe you want to comment on Compassion International too.

Ryan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about sex education and birth control. We have plenty of needy kids here. I say we need to take care of our own before we go trying to end problems in the rest of the world. For the most part our help is not wanted or appreciated in other parts of the world. So maybe we need to take care of our own first. We have folks starving here in region8 too.

Ryan said...

There's nothing wrong with helping both. When we get to heaven, I doubt the Lord will say "Well, you took care of the Americans... good job"

As believers, we have a much larger job than what is in our own city. We need to help here too!... don't get me wrong. That's why I appreciate Mission Outreach so much. Today, over $2000 was raised for them.

As far as sex education/birth control for kids... that's an entirely different topic that I won't get into right now.

Anonymous said...

No I mean sex education and birth control for the adults that keep having kids they can't take care of.