We are about halfway through winter and I wanted to look back at my winter outlook to see how we are doing so far. Unfortunately, I'm giving myself a C right now. It's passing, but it's not great. I BLEW the December outlook, but several of the other bullet points are happening. At the start of January, my grade was a big fat F. So, here's what I had as the Winter Outlook for 2021-2022 with my grade so far:
- FAIL: Big arctic outbreaks are possible in December. Overnight lows in the teens are likely and single-digit lows are possible
- PASS: Sleet and freezing rain is more likely than snow this winter.
- HALF CREDIT SO FAR: 1 decent snow event. 2-3 sleet and freezing rain events.
- PARTIAL CREDIT: Flooding rains are possible, especially in February. Magnitude is still questionable, but seeing 5-6" of rainfall in February is not out of the question.
- GRADE NOT IN YET: February will have above average temperatures.
- PASS: Big swings in temperatures are likely through the winter.
- PASS: 1-2 Severe weather events are possible with damaging winds. Maybe even tornadoes.