Monday, September 12, 2005

9/11 and Kids...

Yesterday marked the 4th year since the attacks on the United States. Maybe it was because of hurricane Katrina, but the television coverage fades each year. If you had told me that the United States would be functioning as well as it is today 4 years ago... I would have thought you were insane.

There is one personal memory that sticks out in my mind from Septemeber 11, 2001. After a long day in the news business... I came home. My wife had just got home from work too. We had no kids at the time. We had not seen each other since the attack. She had already left for work when the first plane crashed..... We hugged... Not much talking.... Just hugging.... Confused at the world.... Confused about the future... While I hugged my wife, I remember thinking to myself, "How in the world can I bring a baby into the messed up world". Thankfully I changed my mind and two years later we had our first boy.

It's amazing to think how we have all bouced back from that gloomy, dark, evil day. Two kids a later, I still wonder about the future. I wonder what they will see in their lifetime. I wonder when (not if) evil will strike to that magnitude again.

Needless to say, I'm glad that we brought kids into this world. Now we have the challenge to raise them in this world... protect them... and teach them about good and evil.

They are crazy little guys. Minus the Kool Aid stains on my oldest boy, they are really starting to look alike.

Have a good day!

Ryan

rvaughan@wsfa.com

PS- HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!!!

No comments: