It's 9:00 pm on Saturday night and I'm in the storm center looking over the data for tomorrow. This is a tough forecast. I'm 100% confident that we will have a winter storm that impacts ALL of Region 8, but the confidence in what falls is not as high as I would like. Due to timing, I can't do a pinpoint forecast for every city and county in our viewing area, but I'm going to pick a few cities to help you with the timing and possible accumulations. Pick the closest city to get an idea of what may happen at your house:
- Rain at sunrise.
- Switching to freezing rain between 8:00-10:00 am
- Switching to sleet between 12:00-2:00 PM
- Heavy sleet for the rest of the day into the evening
- Thunder and lightning is possible
- If we do not switch from freezing rain to sleet by 2:00, our chances of losing power increases quickly.
- Regardless, power outages will happen in areas due to ice on trees and power lines.
- 0.50-0.75" of Freezing Rain and 1-2" of sleet expected.
- Some snow possible on the tail end.
- Rain by 10:00 am
- Switching to freezing rain between noon and 2:00 PM
- "Possibly" switching to sleet between 7:00-9:00 PM
- Significant icing on power lines and trees.
- Power outages could be widespread.
- 0.75"-1.00"+ of ICE glazed over exposed surfaces is possible.
- Rain starts between 3:00-5:00 am
- Switching to freezing rain between 5:00-7:00 am
- Switching to sleet between 9:00-11:00 am
- Power problems are possible, but not as likely as areas south of you.
- 0.50" is possible.
- Up to 2" of sleet is possible
- 1-2" of snow might even fall on top of the sleet an ice before the storm ends.
That's probably even more detailed than I would like to go, but I know that many of you have questions and many of you have plans that you are trying to make. REMEMBER, this can change. This is a VERY dynamic storm system. It's been in the forecast for 7 days and has not thrown us a curve ball, yet. I'm still waiting on what the surprise will be with this storm. There's always a surprise somewhere!!!
Storm Coverage Plans:
- I will be on air at 10:00 tonight
- Andrew Wilson will have LIVE updates between 7:00 and 8:00 during Good Morning America.
- I will be on air at 5:00 and 10:00 on Sunday night and Andrew will be here giving live reports on the Weather Deck.